Sunday, June 8, 2014

003

Today Rob and I started "planning" our wedding. It's still probably a couple of years off, but we came up with some things we want...but mostly we came up with what we DON'T want! So far we've got:


  • I will be wearing a gold wedding dress. I don't believe or agree with what a 'white' wedding dress stands for. Plus, no white woman looks good in white, period. 
  • I will not be walked down the aisle or given away. Neither of us believe in, or with, the connotations behind giving a bride away (you used to be my property, now you're his property!). 
  • There will be no prayers or mentions of god during our ceremony. We're both atheists and want our wedding to reflect who we really are. This includes 'traditional' religious ideas such as 'obeying' the husband. 
  • There will be no lighting of a Unity Candle, because it's tacky and dumb and not our style. 
  • We want our ceremony to last about 15 minutes. Neither of us are fans of being the center of attention, and all we really want to do is exchange vows and rings. 
  • There will be no receiving line. See above: we do not like to be the center of attention and receiving lines are forced and awkward. 
  • We're having Indian food catered in. And red velvet cake. DEAL WITH IT.
  • People will not be allowed to bother us while we're eating. So often brides and grooms are harassed and don't even get to eat the delicious food they're paying for. Nope. You try to talk to me during dinner, you'll be pulling back a blood stump. (To be fair: most people who know me know to not bother me when there's food around.)
  • There will be no first dance. See above: we do not like to be the center of attention and slow dances are already awkward enough without people staring at you. 
  • No tossing of the bouquet or removing of the garter/tossing the garter. They're humiliating for everyone involved. 
  • And the biggest one of all: just because someone is a family member does NOT mean they will be invited. Unfortunately a lot of my family members are very negative, spiteful, and have a tendency to cause drama. While I might love them (although I dislike a lot of them) if they're someone I know will be unhappy and disrupt my wedding in any way, they won't get an invitation. 
I'm really happy about these plans, and I'm happy that I have a partner who's on the same page as me. Some of these might cause some problems with others, but in the end it will be about Rob and myself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment